Acupuncture for temporomandibular disorders (TMD) workshop
Tutor: Sudhir Daya MSc MCSP
Date: 16th October 2021
Venue: Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, London SE10
Price: £120 non-AACP members / £110 AACP members
Biography Sudhir Daya BSc MSc PgCert PgDip ACC MCSP:
Sudhir is a South African trained chartered physiotherapist and an AACP accredited tutor. He is founder of physioMCST that offers mentoring, coaching, supervision and training to mind-bodywork practitioners. Sudhir has an interest in the orofacial region.
To educate physiotherapists and other appropriately qualified medical professionals to incorporate acupuncture in the treatment of temporomandibular disorders (TMD).
Short course descriptor:
This one-day post foundation CPD course is designed to demonstrate how the western medical approach to acupuncture can be incorporated into the treatment of TMD. The course will consist of theoretical and practical components. Acupuncture and trigger points will be taught throughout the day and emphasis will be placed on the safe needling of relevant tissues. The updated layering method of clinical reasoning will be used as a basis of how to incorporate acupuncture into the management of TMD. There will only be a brief introduction to TMD and its holistic management. The focus will be biased towards the practical aspects of safe needling of relevant structures in TMD.
By the end of the course the participant will:
- Understand the anatomy of temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
- Understand the biomechanics of the TMJ.
- Understand the basic pathology of temporomandibular disorders (TMD).
- Be able to palpate (intra and extra oral) relevant anatomical structures pertinent to TMD, including the upper cervical spine and key anterior neck structures.
- Review acupuncture meridians relevant to TMD.
- Review the biopsychosocial model of health with regards to TMD.
- Review the layering method and clinical reasoning of applying acupuncture to TMD.
- Safely and competently needle structures relevant to TMD.
The course will NOT cover:
- Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) theory
- Manual therapy for TMD
- A detailed assessment of the TMJ and orofacial area (e.g. auscultation)
- A detailed TMD classification
Participants interested in learning more about TMD are signposted the ACPTMD's courses (http://www.acptmd.co.uk).
- Current professional/statutory body registration (HCPC, GoSc, GMC etc.)
- Valid professional insurance for acupuncture
- Has successfully completed a recognised foundation/beginner course in acupuncture
- Currently uses acupuncture in clinical practice (fluent with needle handling)
- Consent and able to be needled on the course
- Relevant immunisation in place
- Have experience or exposure to working with the TMJ/orofacial area.
Anatomy and biomechanics:
- Okeson J P (2012). Management of Temporomandibular Disorders and Occlusion [see Ch 1, page 2-20]. Elsevier / Mosby.
- Available on Google Books: https://bit.ly/3sG8JKG
- Peuker E.T., Cummings, M. (2011). Anatomy for the acupuncturist – facts and fiction 1: head and neck region. Acupuncture in medicine 21(1-2): 2-8.
Recommended pre-viewing YouTube:
Ratio of theory to practical:
Number of CPD hours it will account for: